Wednesday 26 October 2011

X Factor: Like me or die?

X factor: a matter of talent or likeability?

So let me explain something about my yearly habits. Every year I say I’m not interested in the X Factor, or the soul-less machine of talent destruction. Yet  every year I end up watching it like some mindless zombie.
Now I’m not gonna lie, the main reason I’m watching it this year is because Gary Barlow is a sexy beast.
But the thing that I’ve noticed over the last 2 years or so is the prevalence of so called comedy or novelty acts Now as much as we can write off certain acts as definite comedy acts; Jedward, Wagner, Alexandra Burke, it’s another breed of contestant that really irks me.

The kind of contestant that bugs a lot of people. They might have a mildly good voice. Or they might have an individual character. Or they might just be easy on the eye. Whatever it may be, it means that the overlords that control the factor favour them. 

The thing is, and this is the controversial bit, these people are pushed further in the competition due to the ratings that they achieve. That is, they have a bit of an unfair advantage since they get through regardless of votes and such. They get pushed through since they have massive egos, that people either love or hate, and invariably, people watch it every week in order to see the thing that pisses them off so much.
In this respect, it’s hard to take the entire ‘talent’, aspect  of the show seriously. Whereas the program may have acted as though the best singer would win, it is, sadly a battle of like or even hate-ability. I’m not gonna list any particular contestants here, since we can all tell who they are. They are the ones that irritate and cause you to talk and rave about them on the interwebs, just like I am right now. The reason I feel the need to do so, is because they underly the fact that the X Factor has ceased to be a talent show, and is now just another reality contest. If you want real drama, just like the X Factor, you could switch over to Big Brother. It’s basically the same shit, just on 24hours a day.

Also, Cher Lloyd eats kitten heads, or so I’m told anyways.

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment