Saturday 12 April 2014

Spring 2014 Anime Analyses... or something

Spring 2014 Anime Analyses.... or something 


Hello internet, resurrecting this long forgotten blog so that I can talk about anime somewhere. I restartedd watching anime about 8 months ago, after about 8 years away, so I'll be covering a mixture of currently airing and older shows as I go.

Anyways, on to business.

What have I watched this week?

Bokura wa minna Kawaisou /The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behaviour


This show had a funny schedule, the first episode airing on a Thursday and the second on Friday, on Crunchyroll at least. Essentially, I think what happened here, is crunchyroll picked it up after the first episode, and as such the simulcast is delayed to be fit into the rather sparse looking Friday schedule.

Kawaisou  seems to be a coming of age/romance show revolving around Usa Kazunari and his senior Ritsu Kawai.

Yup


There's a character named cute  in this show.


The show itself seems fine enough. Very pretty artwork, very nice voice acting (featuring based Kana Hanazawa) and a warm music direction. It has the high production values that Brains base are well know for, and is generally good fun to watch. 




The issue I have with it, and this is after 2 episodes, is just how darn generic it seems. So far there is nothing that makes me think "yup, this show is doing something great",  or "wow, that was some great introspection". Everything seems to be the producers painting by numbers, which will lead us down the path to some well worn tropes and messages. 

Status: Alive but there are signs that life is failing 

What now: I'm giving it the three episode test. Hopefully it'll improve. I want another Sakourasou 

Gokukoku no Brynhildr/Brynhildr in the Darkness

When I saw the PV for this, I was hyped. When I found out it was from the people that brought us Elfen Lied, I was not so hyped.....

Honestly, the first episode was pretty good. Brynhildr follows Ryota Murakami after he meets Kuroha Neko, a mysterious transfer student who resembles Ryota's dead childhood friend. The setup of the show actually came across very well, with a nice voiceover really helping us get to know the oddball of a main character. The one thing that put me off with Elfen Lied was that there was no reason for me to even try to get into the characters, since the show started a batshit crazy pace, with a kill everything attitude. This on the other hand spent an entire episode building the budding relationship and setting up the McGuffin of the series.


I'm interested enough in the premise of this show that I'll keep on watching it. The production values are all pretty much top notch and the OST seemed pretty badass in the first episode. If the show gives me a reason to care when shit hits the fan, I think this might be pretty darn great.

Status: Feeling Strong

What Now: Unless there's a massive drop in quality, keep on watching



Isshuukan Friends / One Week Friends

Now this.

This

It may sound a bit sad, but this was the show that I was most looking forward to this season. It seemed to fit all my tastes. Small, character based, cute, honest. And then I watched the first episode.


The first episode of this show was amazing.




I'll be honest, I don't think I'll see a better single episode of any show this year. Hell, as far as first episodes go, I'm struggling to think of a better one than this.

One week friends follows Yuki Hase and his burgeoning relationship with Kaori Fujimiya, a girl in his class in middle school.

One complication.

Fujimiya forgets all her personal memories every Monday.


And that's the setup of the show. It's a wonderfully simple setup and it's brought across in that way. The first episode introduces our main characters and establishes why Hase wants to be friends with Fujimiya. It builds their relationship over the course of a week, introduces the McGuffin and ends with our female lead having forgotten about the lovely week we all just experienced. 
It captures the small sadness of the situation so well, I was on the edge of tears. 

The edge of tears after one episode, this shit is great.


As far as production values go, this is Brains Base again, so it is very nice to look at. There is a warm, watercolour aesthetic to the colour pallet, and the characters are drawn in such a delicate, light way. It's like a mixture of Moe and realistic styles, and they all look great. Both of the main VA's are relative newcomers, but they bring a real sweetness and innocence to their delivery. Sora Amamiya (Fujimiya) is the standout, as her voice goes so well from cold to the bubbling joy that is the middle of the week, before returning to the cold, almost tsundere delivery at the start of the second week. It really was lovely delivery all around.

Status:  Very Strong

What Next:  Keep watching. I'm in love with the first episode, I really hope they keep this up.

Kamigami no Asobi / Mischief of the Gods



This is the third show that Brains base are airing this season, and it's pretty strong as well. Kamigami follows Yui Kusanagi (Sadly not our heroine from Ghost in the Shell) after she is transported to the realm of the gods, where there is a war or something or other, and they all will compete to woo her.

This is a reverse harem of my favourite kind. Female orientated shows have to work harder to get screentime and Brains Base are doing their work here. The show is completely over the top, from a ridiculous magical boy transformation, to having flowers literally bloom behind each of the male characters after they are introduced.

The first episode did little other than introduce the main characters, but I have high hopes that this will be my guilty pleasure this season.

Status: Pretty good

What next: 3 Episode test, but I think it'll get right past that.

Kenzen Robo Daimidaler

Halfway through the second episode of this, I wondered aloud to myself, why am I still watching this? When I couldn't find an honest answer, I stopped.

Kenzen follows a teenager who discovers he has the power to use a giant mecha whenever he gets a boner. The enemies are anthropomorphized penguins with front "tails" (read: penises). Every female character is basically waiting for our main character to grope them.

For al of the shows outlandishness, I was bloody bored by the second episode. Its amazing how dull the show really is. Also, the mech is fucking ugly.

Status: Dropped

What Next: wipe my mind of penguin penises

Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii / The World is still Beautiful

This show had little to no publicity. I hadn't even heard of it until I randomly saw it on Crunchyrolls website, and I clicked he link half out of curiosity. As it stands, the show was a pleasant little surprise Soredemo  follows Princess Nike (of the trainers) as she travels to a distant, powerful empire to marry its king. Pity the king turns out to be a king.

This show, as it turns out, is really a fantasy Shoujo. So it's like twilight the anime right? Not really.

The first episode introduced our protagonist, but also gave us a taste of character, and I think that is the shows definite strength. Nike is a great character, opinionated, honest, and dedicated. She has a lot to say, and clearly has her own opinions about the empire she is supposed to marry into. I think this could be the sleeper hit of this season, since the first episode was very strong.

Status: Pretty Good

What Next: Bring on the next episode

Kanojo ga Glag wo Onatera / If her Flag Breaks


A silly little harem of a show, the first episode was good fun. Our main character, Souta Hatate can see flags on top of peoples heads that even they aren't aware of. The flags can tell different things, whether they are looking for friends or love, or if their lives are coming to an end. Souta makes all his life choices based on them, and often tries to protect those around him.

I'll stop gushing, by saying this. This show is a mess. The animation is dated, the artwork crude, the sound nothing special, and the pacing was all over the place. But what it was, was crazy. The 24 minute episode I watched was shitballs full of fun, and I its a ride I want to stay on I think.

Status: Average silly fun

What next: Keep watching. unless it gets cringey, this seems like fun


That's all I've had time to check out so far. I'm also planning on picking up Captain Earth, Mekakucity Actors and Ping Pong: The Animation. I'll try and check them out and then update this as and when.

Signing off for now,

Toodle pip

No comments:

Post a Comment