Wednesday 2 November 2011

Cameras that could end the world!!!!

So I recently got my hands on the new Nikon J1 compact system camera. And I created an opinion on it. It feels nice, that is all.

That's all I can say I like about it, it feels nice to hold in the hand. The layout of buttons is nice and it has a nice weight to it. Other than that, it strikes a question. 
Who or what consumer market is this damn thing aimed at?

The reason I say this is that everything seems just so...... Half arsed. There's a dedicated video button, which only works in video mode....
It can shoot 60fps full res...... For about half a second......
It can do super duper slo mo video..... In unwatchable quality.

All of this points to me that Nikon wanted to do something a bit different with their first mirror less system camera. They seemed to want to create a camera that looked like it could do nothing, act like it could do a lot, but overall not really do anything.
So essentially, Nikon have created a device that is aimed at no one, designed for everyone and will be used by..... Someone?

Cos it comes back to the first point I made I guess. The device is a sexy bit of kit. It is, and this is the key thing I guess, iPod sexy. That means that despite its obvious shortcomings, it will sell. It will probably, have an initial hardcore following, saying it is the future and that all other devices are inferior and that it is the bees knees so to speak. 

The problem is that the device doesn't really do anything new or exciting. It simply puts its sub par features in a nice shell, that may dominate the market. If you may recall, a device dominating a market leads to stagnation in the market. So let's face it, the problem this camera poses, it may strangle the market.

And strangling markets, like strangling kittens, is just not cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment