Monday 14 November 2011

I love you baby!!

Hi guys,
So recently I was thinking, why is it that some people just replace their stuff without any due regard to it.
I know that I can't even get an upgrade without going all misty eyed and wistful. I was practically bawling the day that my Playstation one (the small one) died on me. All that came flooding back were all the many games that I had completed and the major achievements I had managed on it. The device was a part of my memories and I loved it.
But at the same time, I can give you so many examples of when people just dispose of things with no regard for it. It's just an item, it has no meaning to its owner. Like when my neighbour crashed his car, his first question was what courtesey car was he getting. Didn't he for one second think of the car that had been carrying him around since he passed his driving test, 4 years prior, and how it was being treated?

I feel like this might be me flogging a dead horse, so I think I'll give you another example. Actually a horse is a good example. Imagine you had a horse. A relaible work horse. The kind of horse that would carry you from A to B, pick up C and shift it to D. And one day that horse just died. Doesn't matter how it died or where. It just died. You'd be heart broken,, devastated even. But you wouldn't do the same for a combine harvester if it broke.
The point I'm trying to make is this. What difference does a bit of flesh and blood make? Is it such that a portion of society can't love their tech?

Let me tell you another story( a regular Scherezenade tonight aren't I?). I had a car before. It was a 2001 plate Skoda Fabia, with a dodgy power steering motor. It took ages to heat up, was kind of cramped, and it had dents all over it from my erratic driving.
Her name was Faith.
The fact that I named her was key to me I think. As much as she had problems, she was my car, my friend, my loyal accomplice. In fact I hardly think I can say she had problems. She had flaws, and and fallicies. She was an imperfect car. And in that respect she had character. I knew what to expect from her, and she gave me all that and more. In fact, she was an unbelieveably reliable, fun to drive car. She had a chirpy spirit that I enjoyed so much, she gave and gave and never asked for anything back.
To be honest, I loved that car because I allowed myself to. It because I trusted that car, I believed in that car, I loved that car. Because I allowed myself to, I gave that car a name, a character, a soul. If anything, because of my own demeanour, I fell in love with a mechanical beast.

Why don't more of us do that?

No comments:

Post a Comment